Edit Module
Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed

GM, Isuzu Expanding DMAX JV

Posted on February 5, 2014

General Motors Co and Isuzu Motors Ltd will reportedly invest $60 million to upgrade technology in the DMAX Ltd. U.S. diesel engine joint venture.  The investment will allow the companies to make design changes to meet future emission requirements and retain 500 jobs at a plant in Moraine, Ohio, GM said in a statement. 

The Moraine plant, in which the companies have invested $760 million since 2000, makes the Duramax 6.6-liter turbo diesel engine used in versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks. The engine is also available in the Chevy Express and GMC Savana full-size vans.

GM has said a 2.8-liter turbo diesel engine will be available next year for the 2016-model mid-size pickup trucks, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. It is also reportedly looking at diesel options for the light-duty versions of the Silverado and Sierra.

DMAX Ltd was established in 1998 and has produced almost 1.6 million diesel engines for heavy-duty trucks in the United States since starting operations in 2000, GM said. GM owns 60 percent of the venture and Isuzu owns the remaining 40 percent.

Edit Module
Edit Module
Advertisement
Edit Module
Advertisement
Edit Module
Advertisement
Edit Module
ADVERTISEMENT